Sunday, June 21, 2009

Marvão




Marvão - almost at the border with Spain, pretty far away from Lisbon. I chose to see it during the longest day of the year :-) I heard from different persons the same thing - "oh, you have to go see Marvão", but I had no idea how it looked like. I have a guide that shows only a picture of the castle but Marvão is not only that. First there is the whole region, you feel like walking into a fairy tale, you want to walk silently not to disturb that fairies and dwarfs, then you get to see storks (many storks, families, communities...) in fir trees (amazing view), and then of course there is the little town of Marvão.







A little, quiet and completely renovated town. I heard the story of the word "almoçar" just by climbing the streets to the castle (told by a stranger to another stanger), I heard a father encouraging his kids to climb up the stairs telling them "well, there are very narrow steps up to the castle and I think you cannot climb them up" and they were going "noooo we can, nooo we can...." and they made me laugh, I bought ice-cream from an old lady who had her shop in the basement of her house and enjoyed the lovely view thinking about Granada. Marvão it is worth the effort, such a pitty I didn't have time to stay longer. Loved it!







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frumooooos!
Cel mai mult imi place ulita serpuitoare...
Chiar azi am dezbatut cu niste colegi lusitani (romanofoni!) nevoia recurenta de aer portughez, ca mijloc de intretinere a sanatatii sufletului :-)
Keep it up & te imbratisam cu drag,

Raluca & Peter
(+ Nora care ieri a facut 6 luni!)

Mircea said...

da, foarte frumoase. si pozele si locurile. din comentariile de mai sus se pare ca nu sunt singurul care considera portugalia o tara unde iti poti gasi linistea... deci nu e doar o impresie