Sunday, January 13, 2008

Sunday in Caldas da Rainha, Óbidos and Foz do Arelho



Caldas da Rainha is famous for its locally-made ceramics and thermal cures. The town has a free hospital, founded by Queen Leonor - the hospital subsequently became a popular spa, reaching its peak in the late 19th century. Caldas da Rainha became also home to a great number of refugees who fled to neutral Portugal from all over Europe. I bought some nice ceramic pots and vases :-) - they are pretty cheap and nice, so I would recommend the place at least for this. Luckily, we went there on a sunny Sunday morning-the reflections of the famous hospital in the water of the lake are extremely beautiful.






Is was my second time in Óbidos, a very quiet and lovely medieval town, with a poetic and romantic "attitude" and narrow cobblestone streets lined with whitewashed houses. Óbidos was the wedding present of a queen, and you can see its preserved delicacy. Don´t miss the ginginha de Óbidos served in chocolate cups. Lovely :-))










Not in a "cronological order", Foz do Arelho was our middle way place to visit. We got there accidently, as I had a list of beautiful places worth to be visited, but I didn't know which one to choose. As lucky as I am, I witnessed one of the most beautiful waves "performance", with a touch of Sun, wanting to go to "sleep". Sometimes I really believe that these moments are made for me :-))




<








Free Web Counter

Free Counter

No comments: